Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How can we help them

There are many in our great country who live under tunnels and trestles and have no other alternatives. They may have had a great job, but in this economy, the business went under, and so did they. They had to sell whatever they had to survive, and now, a shopping cart, the clothes on their back, and maybe a bicycle are all they have in this world.

They are shunned by society who hasn't gotten their pink slip yet. People tend to move to the other side of the street when they see them. They go to gurudwars, Mandir and churches to eat, and might be lucky enough to find an empty bed at any shelters.

Everything stinks of body odor, but at one time, they never missed a day of bathing. They know they look pathetic, they are going through hard times, but they're not stupid. You can find them fishing through the garbage pails outside any restaurant, across nukkds and they try to look out for one another. Some may have college degrees, some teachers, some students, but they all share one thing in common. For one reason or another, they are homeless. Because they are homeless, they are dirty, and they smell, and no one will give them a job, so they remain in their current condition, and no one bothers to ask them why?

Rarely does a good social worker / NGO walk up to them and say, "Come, I'll take you home and get you cleaned up, fed, a good night's sleep, a haircut and shave, and you can try if you can find a job tomorrow. Some are alcoholics, induced by the never ending wheel of poverty and hunger. Some should be in institutions, but no one has taken the time to get them the care they need. They are outcasts, and at the hands of anyone who wants to hurt them. As if they haven't been hurt enough. I myself have never done anything to help them, but I also live in a urban town with a blue color job and although I know there are people who sleep wherever they can. The children would be my first concern. I can't imagine a child born into this type of lifestyle. No home, no family, no school, no shelter, and no protection. No books, no toys, no sanitary items, and yet, they survive. But I ha given money / some eatables / lunch to such kids I found roaming helplessly, but still I feel this is limited help, I would like to understand from you how could we help such people do write to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment